Things you need for Starting a Blog:
Let me start by listing what you will need to Start you WordPress blog.
There are 2 essential things that are needed to start a WordPress blog.
1. Domain name: It will be the name of your blog on internet such as our website name is DomainKing,NG. I have explained all things on how to choose a good domain down in the post.
2. Web Hosting Account: A web hosting account will be need to install WordPress in it. WordPress is the most popular CMS that is known for developing websites without any technical and coding knowledge.
We will be using the self hosted version of WordPress that will be installed in your hosting account. The detailed process for installing WordPress is explained in step 4
Step 1: Choose Your Blogging Niche
This is a most important thing as without the topic or idea it is difficult for you to create or start a blog.
Choosing a blogging niche highly depends on your interests & knowledge in the topic of your interest. Start by thinking about the things you like the most, are you are cooking expert or you love to take beautiful photographs. You can be a fashion designer giving tips about fashion on your blog.
So, you should go for a niche that you love to write about. It will always keeps you going even if you don’t make any money from your blog in starting months.
But think about the monetary value of niche Will you be able to earn from your blog. Lets suppose, if you start a blog about political gossips, Would you be able to earn something by this.
You guessed it right. NO! Because you cannot sell anything or not even you will be able to use it in any other way to earn.
What if you write about Web designing tips, then you can share your tips and top of that you can join various affiliate programs to earn by recommending them.
So make a thumb rule to choose a niche that you have interest in along with that the niche has some earning potential.
This was all about niche, lets move on to next part.
Step 2: Register a Domain Name for your Blog
1) Domain Name: A domain name is the name of your blog. Just Like lindaikejisblog.com or yourdomain.com.ng. The “lindaikejisblog” and “yourdomain” are the names of your website. And .com & .com.ng are the domain extensions/tlds (top level domains).
Points to be noted while choosing a domain:
1. Keep it Short: By keeping your domain short, you make it easier for your visitors. You may see this with various domains such as JIJI.NG , NAIJ.COM. BBC.COM and many more.
2. Keep it related to your Niche: If you write about football, then you can add football or soccer in your domain. It tells the visitors what you write about.
3. Domain extension: Choosing your domain extension totally depends on your preference and requirements. If you are targeting a website for Nigeria then we recommend you to go for .ng or .com.ng as it will also offer you an advantage in SEO on Google Nigeria and .ng, .com.ng is also very brand in Nigeria.
But if you want to create a global website then you can go for a .com domain as well. Generally we recommend you to have both .com & .ng domains for brand protection.
You can register your domain name at the cheapest price in Nigeria from our our website.
If you are finding any difficulty while placing the domain order then you can take help from our domain registration guide.
Step 3: Choose a Web Hosting Plan
Web Hosting is a space on the server where all your website files will be stored. Whenever someone open your website like “yourwebsite.com.ng” on their devices, then your website and its contents including images, videos, text, etc. will be displayed to them from the hosting provider’s server.
Choosing a web hosting plan totally depends on your requirements and what sort of website you want to create. But generally we recommend you to start with our best selling Soldier plan as that comes with a free .com.ng domain.
It comes with 1 GB disk space and 10 GB Bandwidth. In future when your traffic increases, then you can easily upgrade to higher plan that comes with more disk space and bandwidth according to your requirement.
Steps to place order for web hosting plan:
Step 1. Visit our web hosting page.
Step 2. Select your desired web hosting plan and click on “Order Now”
Step 3. On the next page, you will need to choose domain for your Blog. As you are doing this for first time. So, you will need to register your domain.
Click on 1st option “I want DomainKing to register a new domain for my Hosting Package”.
Note: If you already have a domain name registered then you will need to select the 3rd option: “I already have a domain and I will update its nameservers Or I will register a new domain from an another provider.”
After selecting your preferred option, Enter your domain name in the box. click on “Click to Continue”.
Step 4. Now system will check if your domain is available. If it is available then select the term (number of years) for which you want to buy your domain and click “Click to Continue“
Step 5. Now, you will need to select the term for your hosting plan. Confirm the duration and click on “Add to Cart” and continue to checkout on next page.
Moreover,if you need a detailed guide please refer to this
Step 4) Install WordPress on Hosting plan:
Now that you already have a Domain Name & Hosting for your blog. Its time to start creating your blog & we will do it using very popular CMS called WordPress. Let’s do it!
What is WordPress?
Wordpress is a popular CMS that can be used to start your blog within a few minutes. It is so popular & widely used and used by popular Nigerian blog like: Naij.com, Naijaloaded.com.ng & many others.
Installing WordPress is really very easy. It can be done with the click of a few buttons & I’ll show you exactly how. The Hosting account that you just bought from DomainKing.NG comes with 1 Click Installer for installing WordPress. So, all you need to do is is login to your cPanel and then install WordPress with Softaculous 1-click installer.
Just follow these steps listed below:
1.Login to cPanel: Once your domain and hosting order is activated you can refer this guide to login to cPanel using client.
You will also receive a mail with subject “New Hosting Account Information”from our system when you will buy the hosting plan. I contain all the details of your hosting account and cPanel. You can also get the details from there to login to cPanel
2. Install WordPress in cPanel Once done with logging to your cPanel account you can take help from our guide to install WordPress on your hosting account.
Install WordPress in cPanel using Softaculous: Once you are in cPanel, navigate to Software section and click on “Softaculous App Installer” icon.
3). You will now see all the apps that you can install in 1 Click using Softaculous. Click on “WordPress” icon in the Softaculous apps.
4). Click on “Install” button in the navigation bar.
For complete guide, you can refer to How to Install WordPress on your hosting account with Softaculous.
5). Check your Blog: Once you have successfully installed WordPress then you will be able to see your website at yourdomain.com. It will look something like this.
Looks very basic?
No worries. lets change the theme in next step.
Note: If you are still not able to install WordPress by your own then you can contact our Chat Support Team from bottom of this page or Support Team at [email protected]. They will help you to install WordPress as all our plans comes with free WordPress installation.
Step 5) Installing WordPress Theme:
Theme is the layout of your website and overall appearance of your websitegreatly depends on the theme it is using.
Once you have installed WordPress, you will see that default WordPress theme is installed that is a very simple.
I am sure, you want to change it some dashing and attractive theme that serves your needs.
You can choose from thousands of free WordPress themes from Theme Directory . There are alot of beautiful and attractive themes available over there.
If your website is related to sports then you can search sports in WordPress theme library. By doing this search filter will display you the lots of WordPress theme related to the sports. You can install it by picking any one of them.
As you have just installed WordPress, so you would be already logged in to WordPress dashboard.
1. On your Homepage, you will see a top bar and when you hover cursor over it, you see menu options, click on dashboard.
2. Once you are in Wordress dashboard, navigate to Appearance > Themes in the sidebar. You will see that there is a default wordpress and theme. There will be a Add New Button the top, click on that.
3. On the next page, you will see a lot of featured and popular themes, you can select from them. You can also search your desired them in the search box given on the right side.
4. You need to just click on theme you want to install and then active it. Please keep in mind to check the star rating of theme as good theme have higher rating.
For detailed guide on wordpress theme installation you can refer to this guide.
Step 6: Write your First Blog Post
Now you have successfully setup your WordPress and you have changed the layout of your blog. Its time to write your first Blog post. For this, you need to Login to your WordPress dashboard.
If you are are already logged in, Click on Post in the left side navigation bar. Then click on Add New on Next page. Add a title for your post, let write My first Blog Post Then add content for your post. Write a few lines, anything you like to write on your blog to see how it looks.
Once you have written your post then you can click on publish button in the right side. Also, if you want then you can first preview or save draft before publishing your post.
Your first post will look something like this. You can see your post as well as the Default WordPress post of Hello World.
This was all about creating wordpress blog, then changing theme and writing your first blog post. Now let’s see how can you earn by blogging or via your website.
Step 7: How to make money from your Website?
Once done with creating a blog and publishing your first post you might be thinking about the various ways to earn money from your blogger blog.
You can publish quality content on your blog and also can earn money from your WordPress blog. You can publish useful content and display add or join affiliate program to earn money.
Now I am listing some of the methods by which you can easily earn money from your WordPress Blog.
1) Affiliate Program: Affiliate program is a program or is a online system with which a web-master or owner of a blog can earn money by recommending services to its readers. Actually it can be done by adding affiliate links to your website.
Let’s take an example, if your blog niche is about technology and you write about latest technology such as new mobiles, TV’s and online things. Then you can join affiliate programs of various E-commerce websites such as Jumia, Konga and Amazon etc.
You can join their affiliate program and recommend their products on your website. They provide commission on every sale that is made when the visitors has clicked your affiliate link and purchase the product from their website.
2) Google Adsense: Google AdSense is system owned by Google that allows website’s owner or webmaster to earn money by showing advertisement on their websites. These ads are displayed according to the niche of the website.
Google AdSense is a very easy to use and you start start earning right away once you get traffic on your website. You don’t have to deal with advertisers or worry about collecting money. Google administers and maintain relationships with the advertisers.
Blogger or site owner collect the payment, take their share.
AdSense offers cost-per-click ads (CPC) which means that you earn money every time a user clicks on the ad on your website. The amount received per click varies based on multiple factors.
So, what are you waiting for join Goolge Adsense and start earning.
This was all about earning money while you are just starting your website. Once you have grown your website and you have alot of traffic then you will get more exposure. You can contact potential advertisers on your niche for direct ads.
I hope you liked the articles and I will keeeping adding more options for earning via your blog. If you have any questions then please let me know via comment section. I will happy to answer them.