George Falcone is the New Jersey man who faces criminal charges, including terrorist threats after police said he coughed up a supermarket worker and then told the woman he was infected with the coronavirus. The interaction occurred on Sunday, March 22 at a Wegmans supermarket located along US Highway 9. The USA In Manalapan. Falcone was questioned by a police officer at the store.

He was not arrested. But according to the New Jersey Attorney General’s office, “summonses were issued which will require Falcone to appear in court at a later date.” Falcone has publicly denied the accusations.

New Jersey has the second-highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, behind New York. As of March 25, New Jersey had 3,675 confirmed cases and 44 deaths.

George Falcone Coughed on Wegmans Worker

George Falcone was not abiding by that rule as he shopped at a Wegmans in Manalapan, New Jersey, during the evening of March 22. According to New Jersey Attorney Gurbir S. Grewal, a supermarket employee felt Falcone was “standing too close to her and an open display of prepared foods.” She asked him to step back as she covered the food.

But instead of complying, he said Falcone approached, leaned in, and coughed. She said that Falcone told her that he was sick with the coronavirus and laughed. Investigators said Falcone also told two other workers they were “lucky to have a job.” “Exploiting people’s fears and creating panic during a pandemic emergency is reprehensible,” Monmouth County District Attorney Christopher J. Gramiccioni said in a prepared statement. “At times like these, we need to find ways to come together as a community rather than commit acts that further divide us.”

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy also referred to Falcone as a “knucklehead” during a news conference, according to NJ.com.

George Falcone Investigations

George Falcone resisted cooperating with a Manalapan Police officer who was on duty at the Wegmans at the time of the encounter. The Attorney General’s office said Falcone would not show the officer his driver’s license or reveal his name.

Falcone eventually complied after 40 minutes of questioning and was permitted to leave the store. According to a national database for inmate records, Falcone was not arrested. His name does not appear in a federal database, either.

But two days after the incident at the store, AG Grewal announced Falcone would face criminal consequences. The charges include:

  • Terrorist Threats
  • Obstructing Administration of Law or Other Governmental Function
  • Harassment

“These are extremely difficult times in which all of us are called upon to be considerate of each other— not to engage in intimidation and spread fear, as alleged in this case,” said AG Grewal said. “Just as we are cracking down on bias offenses and those who use the pandemic to fuel hatred and prejudice, we vow to respond swiftly and strongly whenever someone commits a criminal offense that uses the coronavirus to generate panic or discord.”

Investigators said Falcone lives in Freehold, New Jersey, which is located about 30 miles east of the capital city of Trenton. A search of online records shows Falcone is married and that he and his wife have owned their current home since 2018.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.